What I'm Reading
See also posts at: // All Aboard Washington (website, Facebook) // Amtrak Unlimited Forum Group (Facebook) // Grow Trains (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Restore the Pioneer Train (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Save the Seattle Waterfront Streetcar (Again) (website, Facebook, Twitter) // Transit Riders of Puget Sound (Facebook) // Trains on FB (Facebook) // My Random Twitter Musings @HamiltonChas
- Will the owner of this $15 million Seattle mansion pay a luxury tax?
The Sam Hill mansion on Capitol Hill is the most expensive real estate listing in Seattle .
- Site of the Union Station Train Crash in Washington, D.C.
At 8:38 am on January 15th, 1953, a man ran out of Union Station onto the concourse screaming “run for your lives!” Twenty seconds later the building shook as a runaway 1,100-ton passenger train smashed through the north wall and collapsed through the flo
- One simple word defines Germans, but Germans don't agree on what it means
Ask Germans to define the word "Volk" and you may get a bunch of different answers, each suggesting different attitudes to German identity and immigration.
- Secret Entrance to the White House in Washington, D.C.
Presidents, secret visitors, and shadow confidants have had a back door in and out of the White House since the 1940s through a little-known passage opening on H Street. The circuitous route passes through one closed-off alleyway, two subterranean tunnels
- Chrome to force .dev domains to HTTPS via preloaded HSTS
- This new Pacific Northwest history textbook is a page turner
HeraldNet.com HeraldNet.com - Everett and Snohomish County news from The Daily Herald in Everett, Washington Opportunity, growth, conflict. It all happened here, historian David Jepsen says. This new Pacific Northwest history textbook is a page turner
- 'Merci!': Montpellier, France sends misspelled football jerseys to Montpelier, Vermont
Vermont state capital, with one L, will receive professional football jerseys from French Ligue 1 club – and give them to high school students The city of Montpelier, Vermont has said “Merci” to the French city of Montpellier after its mayor and professio
- A Social Network That Costs 10¢ to Post
- Voyager 1 and the Beauty and Power of Science
That attitude, shared across the political spectrum when the probe launched in 1977, has now fallen into disrepute in some quarters -- Read more on ScientificAmerican.com
- Research on big ears, crocodile gambling wins Ig Nobels
HeraldNet.com HeraldNet.com - Everett and Snohomish County news from The Daily Herald in Everett, Washington The awards, in their 27th year, are given out for absurd scientific achievement. Research on big ears, crocodile gambling wins Ig Nobels Wire
- How not to land an orbital rocket booster
- That massive Equifax breach could have been easily avoided
Last week, credit reporting firm Equifax admitted that 143 million US consumers’ personal records were exposed in a security breach over a couple of months earlier this year. What it didn’t reveal at the time, was just how callous it had been in protectin
- Backdoor Found In WordPress Plugin With More Than 200,000 Installations
According to Bleeping Computer, a WordPress plug that goes by the name Display Widgets has been used to install a backdoor on WordPress sites across the internet for the past two and a half months. While the WordPress.org team removed the plugin from the
- Bus Network Design is a “Hot Trend”!
Longtime readers know I’m suspicious of “hot trends,” but it’s great to see that bus network design is finally having its moment in the limelight. The respected public policy magazine Governing has a nice feature by Daniel Vock on
- In 1859, the United States and Britain Almost Went to War Over a Pig
San Juan Island is, by any account, a small piece of land—19 miles long and seven miles wide—just off the coast of Washington state. Today farms spread over the island, and a ferry brings tourists ready to soak in the vibes of the Pacific Northwest. It’s
- 3 great transportation museums in the Washington area you should visit
If you’re interested in learning about the history of transportation, the DC area has a number of great transport-related museums. While they’re not as centrally-located as the museums on the National Mall, it’s pretty easy to reach them
- According to Japanese Traffic Lights, Bleen Means Go
The streets of Japan have no shortage of interesting sights. Standing at one of Tokyo’s bustling intersections, sharp-eyed visitors might spot something unusual about the traffic signals hanging above, which feature green lights with a noticeably blue tin
- Building a fast, secured and free static site in less than three hours
- Sweden is close to becoming a cashless economy
- The West Is on Fire. Get Used to It.
The West is burning, and there’s no relief in sight. More than 80 large wildfires are raging in an area covering more than 1.4 million acres, primarily in California, Montana, and Oregon, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. Taken together,
- Smoky, unhealthy air could be new reality for Northwest
This story originally appeared on NWPR/EarthFix. On Wednesday, as smoke blotted out the sun across the city of Portland, about a dozen people were hiding out from the smoky heat in the air conditioned Hollywood Senior Center — one of the county&rsq
- Equifax Breach Provokes Calls For Serious Data Protection Reforms
Equifax's data breach was colossal -- but what should happen next? The Guardian writes: The problem is that companies like Equifax are able to accumulate -- essentially, without limit -- as much sensitive, personal data as they can get their hands on. Th
- Equifax Security Breach Is A Complete Disaster... And Will Almost Certainly Get Worse
Okay, chances are you've already heard about the massive security breach at Equifax, that leaked a ton of important data on potentially 143 million people in the US (basically the majority of adults in America). If you haven't, you need to pay more attent
- 7 ways admins can help secure accounts against phishing in G Suite
(Cross-posted from The Keyword) Posted by Nicolas Kardas, Product Manager Gmail Security, and Sam Lugani, Security Product Marketing G Suite We work hard to help protect your company against phishing attacks—from using machine learning, to tailorin
- How to decode the images on the Voyager Golden Record
Editor's note: Forty years ago today, NASA launched Voyager 1, the second of two spacecraft on a grand tour of the solar system and into the mysteries of interstellar space. Attached to each spacecraft is a Golden Record containing Earth's greatest music,
- Voyager's Golden Record still plays on
Boing Boing editor and partner David Pescovitz has an op-ed up at CNN about the Voyager probe's golden record. Even in the cold and distant darkness of space, this exemplar of human culture plays on. It's a story of our planet expressed in sounds, im
- Astronomers have found the stars responsible for an explosion recorded in 1437
- Seattle surpasses 70-degree record
The record for the longest stretch of 70-degree days in Seattle was 62 days, and we broke it.
- Alaska Airlines: Singapore Airlines...
The carriers announced their partnership on Wednesday, saying they’ll offer reciprocal frequent-flier benefits. That means Alaska Airlines flies can and redeem miles on Singapore Airlines flights and vice versa. &
- When it comes to internet privacy, be afraid, analyst suggests